• 8 lettuce leaves (trimmed into cups)
• 1 finely chopped onion
• 2 finely diced carrots
• 1 red chilli finely diced (leave seeds for extra spice)
• 2 tsps minced garlic
• 1 tbsp minced ginger
• 3 Tbsp Tamari**
• 3 Tbsp Oyster Sauce (gluten and preservative free)
• 300g lean organic chicken or pork mince
• 100g vermicelli rice noodles
• 1 tbsp Spring onion finely sliced
• 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
• Lime wedges (optional)
• 2 tbsp fresh dry roasted peanuts, crushed
• Black pepper
• Coconut oil (to fry)
1. Prepare lettuce – peel each leaf off slowly to leave bowl shape, trim the ragged edges and put aside (keep them in the fridge while preparing other ingredients to keep crisp).
2. In a bowl, poor boiling water over vermicelli noodles, put a plate over the bowl and stand until noodles are cooked (should only take a few minutes), drain away water and put aside.
3. Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a pan, add onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and mince and stir fry until meat has changed colour – about a minute.
4. Add tamari and oyster sauces, pepper, carrot and 1 tbsp water. Cover and cook for two minutes.
5. Turn the heat low and toss through the vermicelli noodles until all coated with sauce.
6. Put a small amount of the meat and noodle mix into eat lettuce cup, top with coriander, peanuts and lime. Enjoy!
**Tamari is gluten-free soy sauce, cooked in the traditional way. It has a very similar taste to soy and adds saltiness to the dish.
**Also works well with tofu as a vegetarian option, bean sprouts can be added for extra freshness and crunch